Be a Part of the Conversation addresses substance use, misuse and addiction and its impact on individuals and their families by building a culture of awareness and support.
Founded in 2011, Be a Part of the Conversation presents community events throughout southeastern Pennsylvania. Their programs address topics ranging from prevention and intervention, to support and lifelong recovery. Each event draws an average of 80 participants including parents, educators, people in recovery, treatment and healthcare professionals, concerned loved ones, law enforcement representatives, government officials and community members. Further, BPOC has initiated an ongoing, weekly, free, family support group and has conceived and produced a student-led theatrical production focused on the real world experiences of teens coping with substance misuse.
When you attend a Be a Part of the Conversation community event, you will experience their signature format:
1. Presentation: They begin with a welcome to our participants, a few announcements, then our feature presentation. Some examples are a panel of young people in recovery, a guest speaker, or an educational presentation addressing a specific topic of concern.
2. Conversation Groups: Participants form groups of 8 to 10, each with a volunteer Facilitator who has been briefed on the topic at hand. This provides an opportunity for everyone in attendance to feel engaged by sharing their thoughts about the presentation or topic.
3. Q&A: They finish with a question and answer period with the presenter or panelists. Facilitators are prepared to ask questions on behalf of their group that might be of a sensitive nature, or challenging for some to ask.
4. Resources on Site: Representatives from regional treatment programs are invited onsite.
5. Following Up: After each of event, they post a “follow up” page that includes any Powerpoints that were presented, links to supportive information, contact information for panelists or speakers, and pdfs of relevant handouts.
Be a Part of the Conversation addresses a range of topics, including:
Be a Part of the Conversatin's goal is to see everyone equipped with the skills and resources to avoid substance use, misuse or addiction. If such use becomes a reality and a challenge, or if the disease of addiction has been diagnosed, those individuals will be supported and assisted by a community that is educated and able to take timely and positive action toward healing and lifelong recovery.